Thyme Market, Culpeper, VA
Cupcakes are becoming more popular these days and are one of our best sellers. We made strawberry, carrot, and spring cupcakes decorated for Easter, and we are planning many more for the spring and summer seasons. Strawberries are fresh and plentiful and are a welcome change after the winter months of dried fruits.
— owner Connie East
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20–25 minutes
Makes 24 large cupcakes.
Download the recipe
For the cupcakes
- 23/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, plus 1 egg white
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely chopped strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix together flours, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Using the paddle attachment in a standing mixer, whip butter and sugar.
- Add eggs (including the extra egg white), one at a time, and mix well.
- Alternating between dry ingredients and milk, add these to wet mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Add vanilla and mix well. Stir in strawberries.
- Bake in cupcake molds at 350 F for 20–25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
For the buttercream frosting
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pound confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- Put ingredients in a stand mixer and beat for 1–2 minutes.
- Add more milk if needed to reach spreading consistency.
Assembling and serving
- Chopped strawberries
- When cupcakes are cool, frost with buttercream frosting and top with chopped strawberries.